The Baltimore City Fire Department (BCFD) has a rich history dating back to the late 1800s. Throughout the years, recruiting and hiring minorities and women has been progressive and continues to be an ongoing process.
For promotional tracking and data collection, BCFD has made the following available to better understand and manage diversity and inclusion within BCFD:
- Baltimore City Fire Sworn Members (Fire Suppression & EMS) – The data collected displays demographics within BCFD. The data is the qualitative breakdown of race, gender, and minorities.
- Identifies Sworn BCFD Members' City Residency – Demographics collected to provide the total number of uniformed members (Chiefs (all), Commanders, Captains, Lieutenants, Inspectors, Firefighters, EMTs, Paramedics) that live in Baltimore City.
- BCFD Supervisors by Rank & Unit/Division – This illustration includes a breakdown of diversity within BCFD Fire Suppression and EMS. The data includes demographics broken down by race, gender, and minorities in 2022.
- BCFD Promotional Exams – Data collected illustrates BCFD members who participated in promotional exams. The table establishes an intentional breakdown of race, gender, and minorities while separating Fire Suppression Lieutenant promotions, Fire Suppression Captain promotions, and Fire Suppression Battalion Chiefs.
- BCFD Promotions – Data provides an illustration of the promotions within the department in 2022. Data is broken down by race, gender, and minorities among Fire Suppression and EMS.
- BCFD Disciplinary Action – The data collected illustrates a cumulative total of suspensions and disciplinary charges among sworn members. The data was collected in 2022. and is separated by those sworn members who paid and unpaid during their disciplinary actions.
- Baltimore City Fire Recruitment Initiatives – Highlights recruitment initiatives in 2022. The data illustrates the total number of recruitment events, interest lists, and community meetings.
- Baltimore City Fire High School Program – Data collected to illustrate the diversity and student demographics. The makeup is broken down by students who were: hired, on an EMT/FF or EMT track, and those who resigned from the high school program. The diversity track also provides a cumulative total of high school students.
*Data is updated on a yearly basis.*